What is a Residential College?
The best way to understand a residential college is to think of it as a small college experience inside a large university setting, with the advantages of both available to you. Here at the RCs you are part of a community of about 150 students. This provides a way for you to get to know faculty and for faculty to get to know you with small classes that encourage intellectual and social growth. On campus, you live and take classes in the residence and participate in our community activities. The innovative RC classes that you get to take meet General Education requirements, too, so each class you take in the RC helps you make progress toward graduation. The three Residential Colleges are all a little different, and we encourage you to find the one that fits you best!
Is a Residential College right for you?
- Do you love to learn, especially when it challenges what you already know?
- Are you curious about other people, who they are, what they believe, and why they believe it?
- Do you want to explore your interests and ambitions with other students and faculty?
- Do you value having a close relationship with your classmates and professors?
- Are you interested in examining local and global issues, working to understand them, and proposing solutions for a better world?
- Do you want to be surrounded by a diverse and inclusive program that values academic excellence, service, leadership, creativity, and community?
- Do you want to engage with people who are there to support you as a person and a student?
From Residential College Students…
“It was a great experience; I met new people and felt a greater sense of belonging than I otherwise would have on UNCG’s campus as a freshman. The opportunity is something I will remember for the rest of my life.”
“My experience was eye opening, both in the way I view and handle myself as well as others. I advocate for any incoming freshman to consider participating in a Residential College!”